This moist chocolate ganache cake has a deep dark chocolate flavor and a hint of cinnamon and chili powder for spice.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces chopped dark chocolate
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 8-inch cake pans and dust with cocoa powder or spray with baking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for cake together in a bowl.
- Dissolve cocoa and brown sugar in the boiling water.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a separate bowl until creamy. Add vanilla extract. Add of the flour mixture and mix; add 1 egg and mix. Add remaining flour mixture and combine. Mix in remaining egg. Pour in cocoa mixture gradually and mix well until combined. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cakes cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring cream to a boil in a saucepan and add vanilla extract. Place dark chocolate in a bowl and pour hot cream on top. Stir until chocolate is melted and a smooth mixture forms. Add cinnamon, chili powder, and salt; mix. Let chill for 30 minutes.
- Spread some ganache on top of the cooled cakes and layer them. Spread remaining ganache over the whole cake and smooth out with a spatula. Chill for 30 minutes.