My mother says this is the original chocolate chip cookie recipe passed down from my grandmother. For bars just press the dough into a jelly roll pan and bake. This recipe makes a very small batch. I triple the recipe and use 1/2 cup margarine and 1 cup shortening instead of all shortening. It seems to make a softer cookie.
- ½ cup shortening
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ⅛ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together shortening, brown sugar and white sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter until moistened. Mix in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are light brown.