Poaching cod is a traditional Chinese preparation. It's simple yet full of flavor from soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil.
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds black cod (sablefish) fillets, cut into large pieces
- 1 (3 inch) piece ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Pour water and olive oil into a large saucepan over medium heat. Arrange cod fillets in a single layer in the pan; bring water to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Arrange ginger and green onions on top of the cod and replace lid; poach for 5 minutes more. Mix soy sauce and sesame oil into the poaching liquid; spoon over the cod. Transfer cod and liquid to a serving bowl, ladling sauce over the top.