Tortellini add body to this Florentine soup made with chicken, spinach, and Parmesan cheese that's ready to serve in about 45 minutes.
- 1 (12 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil; stir in tortellini and return to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are tender yet firm to the bite, about 9 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add paprika, cumin, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Stir flour into the pot. Whisk in chicken stock slowly until fully blended.
- Bring soup to a boil, stirring frequently until thickened. Add tortellini, chicken, spinach, and heavy cream; stir until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.