Jazz up your sole with Chef John's recipe for crab-stuffed sole, with a bit of heat from poblano peppers.
- 4 ounces fresh Dungeness crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon finely diced poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced green onion
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 (2 ounce) sole fillets
- 1 pinch paprika, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Combine crab, poblano pepper, panko bread crumbs, green onion, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl.
- Stir mayonnaise, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.
- Place sole fillets, flat-side up, on a work surface. Season fillets with salt. Divide crab mixture between fillets and roll filets up around filling. Place rolled sole in the prepared baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 the mayonnaise mixture over the sides and tops of each sole roll to coat. Place remaining 1/2 the mayonnaise mixture in a piping bag. Pipe mayonnaise mixture in a zigzag pattern over the top of each roll and sprinkle paprika over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned on top and fish flakes easily with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.