Chef John's quick and easy recipe for bagna cauda, an Italian hot dip with garlic and anchovies, is perfect as a vegetable-dipping appetizer.
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped, or more to taste
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Grind garlic and salt together with a mortar and pestle. Add anchovies; grind with mortar and pestle until a coarse paste forms.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk butter into oil until butter melts and foams, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low and stir garlic-anchovy mixture into oil mixture; cook and stir until flavors blend and mixture is hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir red wine vinegar and red pepper flakes into oil mixture.