This recipe makes a batch of hearty, crispy baked quinoa patties filled with mozzarella cheese, fresh kale and spinach, and ground flax seed.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ onion, chopped
- ¾ cup finely chopped kale
- ¾ cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (Optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Add salt, black pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat; add onion. Cook and stir until translucent, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add kale and spinach to hot skillet; cook and stir until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine cooked quinoa, onions, kale, spinach, mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, and flaxseed meal in a bowl; stir to combine. Add beaten egg; mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Oil a baking sheet.
- Form golf-ball-size portions of the quinoa mixture into patties. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and crusty, about 15 minutes per side.