An all-in-one casserole with Cheddar cheese, cooked chicken, and fresh broccoli gets extra flavor from a packaged rice side dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 breast half, bone and skin removed (blank)s skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 large heads broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 3 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 (5.4 ounce) packages herb and butter-flavored rice side dish (such as Knorr® Herb & Butter Rice Sides)
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of salt-free seasoning, and pan-fry in the hot oil until lightly browned on both sides, about 10 minutes per side. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces, and set aside.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover, and bring the water to a boil. Place the broccoli florets and sweet onion into the steamer basket, cover pan, and steam until broccoli turns bright green and is barely tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil, and stir in the margarine until it melts. Pour in the contents of the two packages of rice side dish, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, 7 to 10 minutes; turn off heat, and allow to stand covered for 2 minutes.
- Transfer cooked rice into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the chicken, broccoli, and onion. Mix in the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, 2 cups of Cheddar cheese, parsley, 2 teaspoons of salt-free seasoning, garlic powder, curry powder, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard until thoroughly combined. Adjust salt and black pepper. Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.