A favorite with Caribbean and Louisiana cooks, the mild flavor of the plump, pear-shaped mirliton squash makes it a natural for vegetable side dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chayote squash, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add garlic, squash, salt, pepper, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir together and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar to the squash mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, until the squash is slightly wilted, but still firm and crunchy. Taste, and add more salt or sugar if needed.