Cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns, and ginger give this chai tea-flavored ice cream that spicy taste just like a chai tea latte.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- ⅝ ounce fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 black tea bags
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 ¼ cups turbinado sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- Bring water, cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger, peppercorns, and cardamom pods to a boil in a saucepan; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and steep tea bags for 5 minutes. Strain tea and set aside to cool.
- Heat cream, milk powder, and turbinado sugar together in a saucepan over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Beat 1/2 of the cream mixture, 1 ladle at a time, in a bowl with the egg yolks until smooth. Pour egg mixture into the remaining cream mixture and continue to heat until mixture reaches 165 degrees F (75 degrees C); hold this temperature for 1 minute, not allowing it to boil.
- Strain cream mixture into a bowl and stir in tea. Place bowl in an ice water bath or refrigerator until chilled just above freezing.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions for ice cream.