Pork shoulder is simmered with Mexican spices to make this shredded filling for tacos, tamales, or burritos.
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place pork, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and tomato in a saucepan. Season with chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until pork is tender, about two hours. Cool and shred. Use in tacos or tamales.