Caribbean-inspired lentils are spiced with ginger, curry powder, and a chile pepper for a side dish that will keep you warm!
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chile pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup lentils
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste
- Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook and stir onion, carrots, salt, black pepper, and sugar until onion is a deep brown color, 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, chile pepper, ginger, and curry powder. Stir constantly to incorporate, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-heat and stir 1 can vegetable broth into the onion mixture. Scrape up any vegetables or curry powder stuck to the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add lentils and remaining 1 can of vegetable broth; cook until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir cilantro into lentils before serving.