This pie is so luscious that you may never make a plain old apple pie again. Just before the top crust is put on, caramel syrup and pecans are spooned onto the apple filling. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven and cookie sheet to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Stir together the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Toss with the apples in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the first unbaked pie shell then drizzle the caramel topping over the top. Sprinkle with pecans. Place the second pie shell over this and flute the edges. Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape then place on preheated cookie sheet.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for 1 hour before slicing. Top with whipped topping, if desired.