Great Friday night dinner with fresh bread and wine.
- 4 medium (blank)s red bell peppers, quartered
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 links pork sausage, sliced
- 1 pound campanelle pasta
- ¾ cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- ground thyme to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Place bell peppers on a baking sheet skin-side up and broil until blackened, 8 to 10 minutes. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, scrape away the blackened skins with a knife and discard. Cut the flesh into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta at a boil, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook sausage until well browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Add roasted red bell pepper and continue cooking for about 3 minutes. Add olives, almonds, and thyme. Cover and simmer until flavors are combined, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking water and pasta to the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined, adding more cooking water if pasta seems too dry.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.