Casserole with a kick! Spicy one-dish meal with beef, tomatoes, cabbage, and rice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown together the beef, green pepper, onion, and garlic until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes. Drain liquid from pan.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, salt, basil, oregano, and the cayenne, white, and black pepper (adding more pepper to taste, if desired). Spread mixture into an ungreased 9x12-inch baking pan. Top with cabbage and Colby cheese.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 65 to 75 minutes, or until the rice is tender.