Creole seasoning gives this sausage and cabbage soup a spicy kick; serve with sourdough bread and more salsa, as desired.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 leeks leeks, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrot, (7-1/2")s carrots, diced
- 1 small head cabbage, and thinly sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's®), or more to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- Heat butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir leeks, onion, and garlic until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Add cabbage; cook and stir until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix water, salsa, ketchup, bouillon cubes, Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors blend in soup, 20 minutes. Add sausage to soup and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes more.