A creamy risotto with broccoli and just a hint of lemon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 cups hot chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated Asiago cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion begins to turn golden brown at the edges, about 2 minutes. Pour in the rice, and stir until the rice is coated in oil and has started to toast, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the white wine and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir until the wine has mostly evaporated, then stir in one third of the chicken broth; continue stirring until incorporated. Repeat this process twice more, stirring constantly. Stirring in the broth should take 15 to 20 minutes in all. Stir in the cream, and cook 5 minutes before stirring in the broccoli, chives, Parmesan cheese, and Asiago cheese. Cook and stir until the risotto is hot; season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.