Delicious bits of broccoli are drenched in a cheese mixture and fried. When our local restaurant stopped serving their Broccoli Bites, we were devastated. So I tried to duplicate them at home one night. It was funny to note that soon after, they started carrying them again here.
- 3 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
- To make the sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the mustard and honey. Set aside.
- Chop florets into small pieces or pulse lightly in food processor. Toss in a mixing bowl with shredded cheese. Set aside.
- Beat egg and stir in the milk. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together and combine them with the egg and milk mixture, beating well. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon oil as well. Pour mixture over broccoli and cheese and toss to coat well.
- In a large skillet or saucepan heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drop broccoli mixture by spoonfuls into 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oil and fry until golden brown. Serve with honey mustard sauce.