A really simple pie to make. A fresh blueberry pie that is simply spiced and topped with a golden meringue. Great for a sweet dessert after lunch or dinner. My family loves it. Give it a try!
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, partially baked
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Add blueberries and lemon juice, and stir gently to coat berries. Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. When the pie is done, whip the egg whites in a large glass or metal bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in sugar while continuing to whip into a stiff meringue. Spread over the hot filling so that the meringue is sealed to the crust all around.
- Bake for 10 more minutes, or until meringue is nicely browned. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating or serving.