This simple and basic vegan cheese has that stretchy and melty quality of regular cheese; it is perfect for pizzas and sandwiches.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 tablespoons agar-agar powder
- 1 ½ cups soy milk
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water; soak for 4 hours, or overnight. Drain.
- Place 1 1/4 cups water in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Add agar-agar powder and mix well until fully dissolved. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Combine agar mixture, soy milk, almond flour, vegetable oil, miso, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Place mixture in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens, 7 to 10 minutes. Place in small ramekins, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until set, about 2 hours. Grate before using.