Win at bake sales with these spiced banana muffins made with equal parts all-purpose and whole wheat flours.
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line cups with paper liners.
- Combine bananas, melted butter, egg, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Sift in brown sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Sift all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a separate bowl. Slowly fold flour mixture into the banana mixture, being careful not to overmix.
- Scoop batter evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 27 minutes. Remove from the muffin tin and let cool.