The next best thing, this mashup of the BLT sandwich and caprese salad tops ciabatta with basil aioli, tomato, mozzarella, and woven bacon.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 7 slices bacon, halved
- 2 ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- 1 (4 ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
- Mix mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, garlic, garlic powder, and lemon zest together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate aioli until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place a wire rack inside a baking sheet to catch grease.
- Place 3 bacon halves side by side on the wire rack. Weave another 3 to 4 bacon halves over and under those halves to form a square lattice. Repeat with remaining bacon halves.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Lift bacon lattices off the pan with a spatula onto paper towels.
- Spread basil garlic aioli on each ciabatta roll; layer mozzarella slices, tomato, and bacon lattices on top.