To make this scrumptious pie, rhubarb, blackberries and raspberries are combined with sugar and flour and refrigerated overnight. This sweet mixture is then spooned into a made-from-scratch crust, topped with another round of pastry and popped into the oven to bake to perfection.
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- To Make Filling: In a medium bowl, combine blackberries, raspberries, and rhubarb. In a separate bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Sprinkle over fruit mixture and stir gently. Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- To Make Crust: In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour with salt. Cut in shortening and 2 tablespoons butter until texture is like coarse cornmeal. Place 1/3 of mixture in a separate bowl. To the smaller portion, add water and mix to form a paste. Add this mixture back to the rest of flour mixture and stir just until dough forms a ball. Allow to rest at least 20 minutes before rolling out. Divide dough in half. Roll out bottom crust and place in 9 inch pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Mix 1 tablespoon melted butter and lemon juice into fruit filling, then spoon into pastry-lined pie pan. Roll out top crust and place over filling. Crimp edges and cut steam vents in top. Brush lightly with half and half and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes, until crust is golden brown.