Beets are packed with nutrients. Start soaking chickpeas overnight.
- 8 ounces chickpeas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound beets
- ½ cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, cover chickpeas with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain chickpeas and place in a large heavy saucepan; add onion, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 1 hour, or until chickpeas are very soft. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cover beets with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until tender; drain and allow beets to cool before removing the skins and chopping.
- Puree beets in a food processor; add the chickpeas and onions, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and cumin. Process until smooth. Slowly, while the machine is running, pour in the reserved cooking liquid and olive oil. Continue to process until mixture is thoroughly combined. Drizzle with a little olive oil.