Succulent round steak is browned in olive oil, then simmered in beef broth and red wine. It's seasoned with marjoram and thyme and accompanied with fresh sliced mushrooms and onions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds round steak, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 medium (2-1/2" dia)s onions, sliced
- In a large stock pot over medium/high heat, heat the oil and add the beef pieces. Sprinkle the flour over the beef. Brown the meat on all sides.
- Pour in broth and red wine. Sprinkle in salt, marjoram, thyme and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and onions to the pot. Liquid should just cover everything. If necessary, add some more wine to cover. Cook until onions are limp.