A special potato salad recipe from a special place, the 800-acre Beaumont Ranch in Texas. The potatoes are seasoned with a garlicky salad dressing while still hot, then cooled and mixed with bacon, celery, green onion, dill pickle, and mayonnaise. It makes a big batch.
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian salad dressing mix (such as Good Seasons®)
- ¼ cup tarragon vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup real bacon bits
- ¼ cup chopped dill pickle (Optional)
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry Italian dressing mix, tarragon vinegar, water, and olive oil until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Place the hot potatoes into a large bowl, and roughly but thoroughly slice them with a table knife until the potatoes are in chunks. Pour the dressing mixture over the hot potatoes, toss to coat, and let the potatoes cool. Add the celery, bacon bits, dill pickle, and green onion to the potatoes; lightly stir in mayonnaise until all ingredients are well combined, and serve.