Inspired by the traditional Italian pairing of pasta and beans, this hearty soup with cannelini beans, ditalini pasta, baby spinach, and an infusion of garlic is especially wholesome.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onions; cook and stir until the onions are transparent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth, increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the beans and pasta; lower heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, until the pasta is al dente, or 8 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach and stir just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.