Simmer leafy green kale, canned tomatoes with chile peppers, onions, garlic, spices, and fresh herbs with plump, white canned cannellini beans to make this savory, Italian-inspired ragu or vegetable stew.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 leaf (blank)s bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and kale. Cook and stir until the onions become transparent and the kale wilts and reduces in volume, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Stir the tomatoes and green chiles, garlic, water, bay leaves, cumin, and onion powder into the kale mixture. Simmer the vegetable mixture until the kale is soft, about 1 hour. Stir in the cannellini beans and continue simmering until beans are heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in the oregano and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.