A very easy and versatile recipe of a pesto topping on French bread slices. One of my most requested recipes! Great for potlucks, or as an accompaniment to soup or salad meals. Try them with sun-dried tomato pesto!
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French baguette
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven on broiler setting. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place under broiler for 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted on one side. Watch carefully to ensure they don't burn. Remove from oven, and flip bread slices so that the toasted side is on the bottom.
- Set the oven temperature for 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, pesto, garlic, Parmesan and salt. Spread evenly over untoasted sides of bread slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Set the oven to broil, and place the rounds under the broiler just until they begin to bubble and turn golden. Let cool slightly before serving.