This quick and easy version for babka French toast served with a homemade chocolate dipping sauce will have everybody asking for more.
- cooking spray
- 6 slices stale cinnamon bread (such as Thomas®)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (such as Nutella®)
- ¼ cup fat free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Cut each slice of bread into three sticks. Whisk together milk, egg, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a large shallow dish. Dip each bread stick in the egg mixture quickly to avoid soaking the bread, yet coating it on all sides; shake off excess. Arrange bread sticks on the prepared baking sheet without them touching.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, flip them, spray lightly with cooking spray, and return to the oven until cooked through and golden brown, about 8 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together hazelnut spread, half-and-half, cocoa powder, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Bring to a boil and immediately remove pan from the heat, whisking until smooth.
- Remove French toast sticks from the oven and serve warm with the chocolate dipping sauce.