This Cuban influenced dish has been a family favorite for generations! Chicken baked with onions, bell peppers, and water chestnuts, then added to prepared yellow rice makes this dish one you'll be asked again and again to make!
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- seasoning salt to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package yellow rice
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a Dutch oven, toss the onion, green bell pepper, and water chestnuts with olive oil to coat. Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, and seasoning salt, and place on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven.
- Cover, and cook the chicken 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Remove from heat. Leaving the vegetables in the Dutch oven, remove the cooked chicken, cool, skin, debone, and shred meat.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the yellow rice according to package directions.
- Mix the shredded chicken and cooked rice into the Dutch oven with the vegetables. Return to the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, and continue cooking 15 minutes before serving.