This delightful autumn soup is creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor thanks to kale, carrots, bouillon, and butter.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 3 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 small potatoes, cubed, or more to taste
- 1 large bunch kale, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat and add flour. Cook until roux is bubbly and beginning to turn brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour milk in gradually while whisking constantly. Add water and vegetable bouillon cube. Add carrots, celery, cooked onion, potatoes, kale, black pepper, and cayenne. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add shredded Cheddar cheese to soup and stir until melted.