Green bean amandine gets a makeover with fresh asparagus, the perfect switch when asparagus is in season.
- 2 tablespoons raw sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced almonds; stir gently and shake the skillet until almonds are lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning. Set almonds aside.
- Add butter and olive oil to the same skillet. Swirl skillet until butter is melted and combined with the oil, about 1 minute. Add asparagus spears and season with salt and pepper. Move asparagus around the skillet, gently stirring and turning until tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Add bread crumbs to the remaining butter and oil in the warm skillet. Stir until slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the cooked asparagus, place browned bread crumbs on top, and garnish with toasted almonds.