Using cauliflower "rice" makes this one-pan paella with artichokes and chicken sausage a perfect paleo dish for an upscale dinner.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 3 links sweet Italian chicken sausage, diced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, or more to taste, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichokes, drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups snow peas
- Place cauliflower florets in a food processor; pulse into grains the size of rice.
- Combine hot water and saffron threads in a small bowl; let stand for 3 minutes to infuse.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a paella pan over medium heat. Add sausage; cook and stir until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini and onion; cook for 3 minutes. Add saffron infusion, carrot, garlic, and cayenne pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir cauliflower "rice" and artichokes into the pan. Cook and stir until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Pour in stock; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until most of the stock is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in snow peas; simmer until all stock is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Remove paella from the heat and drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil on top.