Traditional recipe from Australia and New Zealand. Associated with the joint public holiday (ANZAC Day) to commemorate the Gallipoli landings during WW1.
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ¾ cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the syrup and butter together. Mix the soda and the boiling water and add to the melted butter and syrup.
- Add butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Drop by teaspoons on greased cookie sheets (or baking paper).
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.