Banana muffins get a nutrition upgrade in this recipe that includes whole wheat flour, cacao nibs, flax seeds, and nuts.
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 3 ripe bananas, or more to taste, mashed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao nibs
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line cups with paper liners.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the mixture and blend in. Add all-purpose and whole wheat flours; mix just until combined. Gently mix in coconut, walnuts, cacao nibs, and flax seeds.
- Spoon batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.