A recipe for Amish meatloaf topped with bacon strips and a ketchup glaze that I had while in Amish country in Holmes County, Ohio.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 ½ cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, crushed crackers, onion, eggs, 3/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup brown sugar until well blended. Press into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Lay the two slices of bacon over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until cooked through. While the loaf bakes, mix together the remaining 1 cup ketchup, vinegar, salt, mustard and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Spread over the top of the meat loaf for the last 15 minutes of baking.