Roasted Hatch chile peppers add a smoky twist to this American-style potato salad dressed with mayonnaise, mustard, lemon, and parsley.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 Hatch chile peppers, halved and seeded, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 peperoncini peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt in a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until fork-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place chile peppers cut-side down on baking sheet and lightly brush skin with oil.
- Broil in the preheated oven until skin is heavily blistered and turning black, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam as they cool, about 15 minutes. Peel and chop the chile peppers.
- Whisk mayonnaise, parsley, peperoncini peppers, mustard, lemon juice, pickle relish, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl to make dressing.
- Pour dressing over cooled potatoes. Add chile peppers, celery, and onion; mix to combine. Season salad with black pepper. Chill in the refrigerator before serving, about 30 minutes.