This recipe makes an amazingly dense and fudgy cake nobody will suspect of containing beets. Kids love it, and you will too.
- 1 (15 ounce) can sliced beets, drained with 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 8x4x2-inch bread pans.
- Blend beets and reserved liquid in a blender until smooth.
- Beat pureed beets, sugar, eggs, olive oil, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Mix flour cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl; add to the beet mixture and stir into a smooth batter. Fold chocolate chips into the batter. Pour batter into prepared bread pans to about 3/4-full.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.