Whether you air fry these cookies right away or freeze the dough to save for baking later, you'll love the tangy lemon taste in both the cookies and the icing.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- Cream butter, sugar, and pudding mix together in a bowl. Beat in egg, lemon juice, and 1/2 of the lemon zest. Set aside remaining lemon zest for icing.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl. Add to butter-pudding mixture and beat until well combined. Roll dough into 2 logs, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Preheat an air fryer to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Slice frozen dough into 1/4-inch slices and place in the prepared basket.
- Air fry cookies, working in batches, until edges start to brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from the air fryer and leave in the basket until cool to the touch, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are baking, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and reserved lemon zest in a bowl. Dip 1 side of each cookie in icing. Let icing set until hardened, about 2 minutes.