Plan ahead for this crispy fried chicken cooked in the air fryer--it gets marinated overnight in a buttermilk marinade.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds bone-in chicken pieces, with skin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ⅔ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ⅓ teaspoon dried oregano
- cooking spray
- Combine buttermilk, hot sauce, and salt in a large gallon-sized resealable bag. Add chicken and knead well to ensure chicken is coated with marinade. Marinate chicken in the fridge, 8 hours to overnight.
- Combine flour, sweet and smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, salt, pepper, cumin, thyme, basil, and oregano in a second gallon-sized resealable bag. Shake to combine. Drain chicken from the buttermilk and add to the dry mix. Shake to coat.
- Preheat an air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spray chicken with cooking spray. Air fry for 20 minutes, turning at the halfway mark.