This beef stew is slow-cooked in the oven, lending your home a smell of delicious comfort food while you attend to other matters.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1/2 (10.75 ounce) can water
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Spread beef cubes into a 3-quart casserole dish; season with salt, basil, and black pepper. Arrange carrots, onions, and celery atop the beef cubes. Pour soup and water over the beef and vegetable mixture. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 3 hours.
- Arrange potatoes over the stew; continue baking until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes more.